Taking Control of Hyperglycemia to Improve Patient Care: How One Hospital Resolved a Low Benchmark Indicator and Became a Best Practice Site Through Use of EndoTool Glycemic Control Software
This study compares glycemic outcomes before and after implementation of glycemic control software (EndoTool) for patients receiving intravenous insulin, all of whom were previously treated using a paper algorithm.
71-bed full-service community hospital.
- Incidence of hypoglycemia <70 mg/dL decreased 80% with EndoTool, from 4% to 0.8% of blood glucose readings.
- Incidence of hyperglycemia >200 mg/dL decreased 53.8% with EndoTool, from 26% to 12% of blood glucose readings.
- Mean glucose housewide decreased 21.7 mg/dL with EndoTool, from 183.9 to 162.2 mg/dL, while mean glucose within intensive care units decreased 20.1 mg/dL with EndoTool, from 184.1 to 147.1 mg/dL, achieving top performer status in the Remote Automated Laboratory System (RAL) benchmarking program.
- Average time to achieve two consecutive blood glucose readings <150 mg/dL was 4.8 hours with EndoTool.
- Average length of stay for DKA patients decreased from 3.3 to 2.66 days with EndoTool, representing an estimated $3,615.16 cost savings per patient and $74,932.41 cost savings per year.
Use of glycemic control software (EndoTool) allows better and more rapid glucose control than a paper algorithm and, according to physicians and nurses, makes transitioning from intravenous to subcutaneous insulin much easier.
Sondra Boecker, RN, CDE; Linda Barhorst, BSN, CDE.
Presented at EndoTool User Group Meeting.
- Hypoglycemia Reduction
- Hyperglycemia Reduction
- Length of Stay
- Hospital-Acquired Conditions
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Surgical Site Infections
- Cost Savings
- Cost Savings|Hyperglycemia Reduction|Hypoglycemia Reduction|Length of Stay
- Time to Target
- Time in Range
- Time on IV Insulin
- Target Goal Attainment
- Mean Glucose Improvement
- Glucose Variability
- Burn Injury
- Cardiac Surgery
- DKA/HHS Management
- Emergency Department
- Induced Hypothermia
- Intra-op Glucose Management
- Obstetrics/Labor & Delivery
- Residual Insulin Adjustment
- BG Check Compliance
- BG Test Reduction
- Nursing Satisfaction
- Protocol Adherence
- Provider Satisfaction
- Workflow Improvements
- Nursing Satisfaction|Workflow Improvements