EndoTool IV Leads to Over 55% Fewer Blood Glucose Checks With an 84% Decrease in Hypoglycemic Events at UPMC
Investigating the impact of implementing EndoTool IV (ETIV), a computerized insulin dosing algorithm, in the treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) across a 7-hospital system in Central Pennsylvania.
UPMC Harrisburg hospital, part of the larger UPMC seven hospital system in Central Pennsylvania. Two distinct time periods were utilized for comparison of outcomes: September to December 2021, representing the pre-implementation phase of the EndoTool IV (ETIV) computerized insulin dosing algorithm, and September to December 2022, reflecting the post-implementation phase.
This study highlights the potential benefits of using EndoTool IV to manage complex conditions like DKA, with a focus on both clinical and economic outcomes.
- Incidence of hypoglycemic events reduced from 2.26% to 0.35%, a significant decrease of approximately 84.5%.
- The number of blood glucose checks decreased by 55%.
- Average hospital length of stay decreased from 5.1 to 4.5 days.
- Time required for insulin infusion decreased from 37.2 hours to 35.41 hours, a reduction of 1.79 hours approximately.
- Clinical Improvements: EndoTool IV led to fewer hypoglycemic events, fewer glucose checks, and shorter infusion times.
- Financial Impact: While there was no significant reduction in ICU charges, EndoTool IV shows promise in improving clinical outcomes for DKA patients.
- Future Directions: Further subgroup analysis is being conducted to explore the results in more detail.
Zachary Scheid, DO; Kinza Salim, DO; Josephine Gomes, DO; Danya Abedeen, DO; Rabiah Riaz, MD; Evelyn Calderon Martinez, MD; Lauren Ortiz; Anderson Schrader; Amy Helmuth, DNP, FACHE; Soni Srivastav, MD; Paul Chidester, MD, FACP; Anas Atrash, MD, FACP
23rd Annual Diabetes Technology Meeting
- Hypoglycemia Reduction
- Hyperglycemia Reduction
- Length of Stay
- Hospital-Acquired Conditions
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Surgical Site Infections
- Cost Savings
- Cost Savings|Hyperglycemia Reduction|Hypoglycemia Reduction|Length of Stay
- Time to Target
- Time in Range
- Time on IV Insulin
- Target Goal Attainment
- Mean Glucose Improvement
- Glucose Variability
- Burn Injury
- Cardiac Surgery
- DKA/HHS Management
- Emergency Department
- Induced Hypothermia
- Intra-op Glucose Management
- Obstetrics/Labor & Delivery
- Residual Insulin Adjustment
- BG Check Compliance
- BG Test Reduction
- Nursing Satisfaction
- Protocol Adherence
- Provider Satisfaction
- Workflow Improvements
- Nursing Satisfaction|Workflow Improvements