Comparison of a Computer-Based Intravenous Insulin Program with a Standard Paper Protocol in Terms of Safety and Efficacy in Management of DKA Patients in Community Hospitals: A Pilot Study
This retrospective analysis compares safety and efficacy of a standard paper protocol to a computer-based glucose management system (EndoTool) for patients admitted with diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).
Cohort of six community hospitals
- Mean time to a blood glucose <200 mg/dL was 287 minutes with EndoTool versus 336 minutes with a paper protocol.
- Incidence of hypoglycemia was 0.00% of patients with EndoTool versus 10.0% of patients with a paper protocol.
- Mean number of finger stick blood glucose readings per hour was 0.91 with EndoTool versus 0.99 with a paper protocol.
- Nursing adherence to dosing recommendations was 100% with EndoTool versus 37% with a paper protocol.
With faster time to control, lower incidence of hypoglycemia and fewer finger sticks, a computer-based glucose management system (EndoTool) provides a safer, more simplified approach to intravenous insulin therapy than a paper protocol for patients admitted with DKA.
M. Raihan Azad; Sandra Hardee; Su-Fan Vanessa Lin; Robert Tanenberg.
Presented at American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists Scientific & Clinical Congress.
- Hypoglycemia Reduction
- Hyperglycemia Reduction
- Length of Stay
- Hospital-Acquired Conditions
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Surgical Site Infections
- Cost Savings
- Cost Savings|Hyperglycemia Reduction|Hypoglycemia Reduction|Length of Stay
- Time to Target
- Time in Range
- Time on IV Insulin
- Target Goal Attainment
- Mean Glucose Improvement
- Glucose Variability
- Burn Injury
- Cardiac Surgery
- DKA/HHS Management
- Emergency Department
- Induced Hypothermia
- Intra-op Glucose Management
- Obstetrics/Labor & Delivery
- Residual Insulin Adjustment
- BG Check Compliance
- BG Test Reduction
- Nursing Satisfaction
- Protocol Adherence
- Provider Satisfaction
- Workflow Improvements
- Nursing Satisfaction|Workflow Improvements